Creamy fettuccine alfredo is one of my comfort food favorites. But it’s sooooo rich, i get kicked by my conscience every time I order it at Pizza Hut. I searched for ways to reduce the calories (and the fat) to compromise. I cut the butter and changed the cream to low-fat milk. And the result is a yummy. healthier version – under 400 calories!
- 250g Fettuccine noodles
- Water for boiling
- 1 + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 medium size onion, diced
- 1 200g can button mushrooms (other mushrooms like cremini work, too)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 + 1 tbsp grated parmesan (or more depending on preference)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F or 190 C. Prepare a baking dish.
- Cook noodles according to package instruction. Drain.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Saute onions and mushroom. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, add the remaining oil. Add flour and stir until del combined. Pour in milk slowly, stirring constantly as it thickens (3-5 minutes). Add chicken broth and keep on stirring until depending on desired consistency. Stir in 3 tbsp parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine vegetables, pasta and sauce in prepared baking pan.Top with remaining parmesan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with parsley. Serve while hot.