My dear friend, Rosy, just challenged me to try out more vegetarian dishes. I opened my refrigerator and found some ingredients. So my November 3 #somethingnewfordes is this recipe. I like it a lot and got positive reviews from my housemates. So this is definitely worth documenting.
- 1 pack firm tofu (tau kwa), cut into small squares
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium carrot, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into strips
- 1 pack young corn, halved
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Fry tofu to golden brown (crispy sides, soft inside). Remove tofu from pan and reduce oil. Alternatively, line in baking sheet and bake in 175 C for 25-30 minutes (depending on size).
- Add onion, carrot, bell pepper and young corn to the pan. Stir fry in medium heat for 5 minutes. Add tofu.
- In a another pan, add water, soy sauce and sugar. Boil until flavor is incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add slurry and simmer until desired thickness is achieved. Pour sauce over veggies.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.