I first came across this dish when I was looking for something to serve on Halloween. The original recipe is for a jack-o-lantern pie. I remember baking it for Halloween dinner then going out for a class, only to return later with my pie half-eaten by my happy housemates. Since then this comfort food has been a house favorite and I’ve customized it with other ingredients I’d like to have in my cheese burger.
- 300g ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tbsp pickle relish
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts (or you can make your own)
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 200g grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 215 degrees C.
- Cook first 6 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain the liquid. Stir in pickle relish, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Unfold 1 pie crust and place on a lightly greased 8-in round baking dish. Spread mustard evenly over crust. Stir together meat mixture cheese. Transfer over prepared crust. Place remaining curst over meat mixture, crimp edges and fold under.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.