I love trying out rice dishes and this one is definitely a keeper! Spanish Rice is a favorite side dish to Mexican cuisine and is cooked using white rice, tomatoes, garlic, onions and seasonings. Rice is fried until it is golden brown then liquid (usually chicken broth) is added until rice is cooked.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomato and green chiles
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- chili powder to taste
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and bell pepper for 1 minute. Add rice and sauté until rice is browned and onions are tender.
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes. Season with cumin powder, chili powder and salt. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- Serve as side dish to meat or fish.