Chicken and rice is a classic combination all over the world. Here’s one version shared to me by my dearest friend from Macedonia (thanks Mece! <3) This dish is very easy to make and flavorful.
- 1/2 chicken cut into pieces (or you may use any chicken part you want)
- water for boiling
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium size onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2 cups of uncooked rice
- 1 chicken broth cube (optional to add more flavor)
- 1/2 tbsp parsley
- Place chicken in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and cook until tender. Set aside and reserve liquid to cook rice in.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare a baking dish.
- Melt butter in a pan, and fry the finely chopped onion until transparent. Add carrots, red pepper and green pepper and continue frying.
- Add the rice and fry it for a minute. Add 4-5 cups of of the chicken broth (measure based on how much is needed for your rice). Add the chicken broth cube for more flavor. Let the rice boil for 8 to 10 minutes (half cooked).
- Transfer the rice to the baking dish (including the liquid). Place chicken pieces on top of rice. Top with parsley.
- Put in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the stock is absorbed and rice is tender.
Preparation and Cooking Time: 2 hours