One favorite dish that I often order in Chinese restaurants in Manila is Steamed Fish Fillet with Garlic. This is a quick and easy to cook version that will easily please hungry stomachs.
- 2 white fish fillets, skin removed
- 4 slices ginger, cut into matchstick pieces
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 stalks green onion, sliced thinly on the diagonal (for garnish)
- Spread ginger pieces in a shallow bowl and put the pieces of fish on top. Steam for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan, simmer soy sauce, water, sugar and grated ginger together just until everything blends together. Pour on fish fillets.Top with green onions.
- In another pan, add the canola and sesame oils and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and gently cook until garlic turns light brown. Remove from heat. Pour over the fish. The hot oil will sizzle and will cook the green onions. Serve with steamed rice.
Preparation and Cooking Time: 15 minutes