The mixture of sweet, salty and curry spices makes this wonderful dish an automatic crowd pleaser. You can experiment with other ingredients like green peas and cashews to convert this to a vegetarian dish.
This recipe calls for canned pineapple tidbits. But if you have fresh pineapple, cut it in half (lengthwise) and scoop out the flesh and use them in the recipe. Invert the pineapple to drain and once your fried rice is ready, you can use the pineapple boat as plate!
A little trip to memory lane: My internal customer (let’s call him Papa P) visited Manila a few years ago. He is a vegetarian and had a hard time finding food to suit his taste. As a hospitable Filipino, I was dismayed to see that we couldn’t properly feed our guest! There were even times that he’ll just eat rice and ketchup! So one evening, I decided to put matters in my own hands and bring him to a restaurant in a mall. And guess what?! We found a vegetarian version of the pineapple fried rice. Papa P was soooo happy!
|Pineapple Fried Rice served with Salted Eggs and Tomatoes|
For the fried rice:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 medium size onion, diced
1/4 cup shrimps, deveined and chopped
1/4 cup crabmeat, shredded
1/4 cup Chinese sausage, chopped
1 tbsp curry powder
2 cups cooked rice
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp light soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup pineapple tidbits, chopped
1/4 cup raisins
1 red chili, chopped or red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
1 scrambled egg, cut into thin slices
2 tbsp sliced spring onions
- Sauté garlic and onions in oil. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Put in shrimps, crabmeat, and Chinese sausage. Stir until cooked.
- Add in curry powder and sauté until fragrant.
- Add in the rice and coat with the curry.
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, soy sauce, salt, pepper and brown sugar. Drizzle over rice and mix well.
- Add in remaining ingredients, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer rice to your plate and garnish with egg slices and spring onions. Serve.